torsdag 18 juni 2015

Masters of the Universe (and Westridge) Day 2


Game 4 vs. Denis Korzun (Trollbloods) Two Fronts

 

So I'm facing Denis, bringing his custom pDoomshaper list and a Madrak2 list. I believe he will drop pDoomy because of my high-def skew in Sorscha2. He actually doesn't have Janissa in any of his list and that makes me consider dropping Butcher, which I end up doing. With Silence of Death and a ton of Jacks I should be able to kill any contesting Warders and go hard for scenario.



Hoarluk Doomshaper (*7pts)
* Pyre Troll (5pts)
* Mulg the Ancient (12pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Pyg Burrowers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (Leader and 1 Grunt) (1pts)
Trollkin Scattergunners (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Trollkin Scattergunner Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Trollkin Warders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Trollkin Warders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)
Professor Victor Pendrake (2pts)
Objective: Effigy of valor


He has one unit of Warders to each flank with Mulg and Doomy in the middle, Pyre and Pendrake to my left and Scattergunners to my right. I deploy my battlegroup heavily towards my left side with a single Juggernaut and the Pikemen to the right.

He runs up everything, including the Burrowers onto a central hill. I put Silence of Death onto the Pikemen and Energizers for 3. My Widowmakers pick off a couple of Pygs and Eiryss runs up on the extreme right flank.

The Pygs burrow and he contests my zone with 2 Warders. On the right most of his Warders there contests the zone and the Scattergunners follow behind them. Mulg and Doomy has taken up position on the central hill and Pendrake hangs out in the forest to my extreme left, ready to contest the zone in future rounds I assume.

I want to go for a dominate of my own zone, which means I have to kill 2 Warders and I also want to destroy his objective. I allocate 3 to the left Juggernaut and upkeep SoD on the Pikemen who charges his rightmost Warders and the objective. They successfully kill one of them and also takes down the objective with some good rolling (it was in the stone aura) and minifeat. I then swap SoD to the loaded Juggernaut who goes in to finish the 2 Warders. He kills his charge target, but miserably fails to kill the last one contesting the zone with a string of bad dice. My Vanguard is also up there engaging some models, with Ragman and Raluk hanging out in the back of the zone, with Ruin centrally on the table. Widowmakers and Eiryss makes a concerted effort to put down some Scattergunners, but only get 2 or 3. 1-0

His counterattack is swift and painful. Pygs pop up and go to town on half of the unit of Pikemen. The rightmost Warders charge in on the Juggernaut on that flank and makes large dents in it, also ripping off both his arms. Scattergunners spray some more Pikemen and with Fortune they are quite successful. On the other flank the Vanguard takes a beating, but remains fully operational, while my Juggernaut only takes moderate damage. Doomy feats and casts Runebreaker.

My turn 3, and I go for the dominate again. I upkeep SoD (Butcher takes 3, thanks to feat) on the Jugger and allocates 1 to him and 2 to Ruin. There is now 3 Warders and Pendrake contesting the zone. The Juggernaut finishes off his Warder and I swap SoD to Ruin, who charges into the remaining 2 Warders and Pendrake. I need both of my initials to kill the first Warder, but I then miss 3 bought attacks in a row against Pendrake. Things are not looking good. On the other flank I manage to kill roughly half of the Burrowers thanks to a Koldun Lord spray. Eiryss and the Widowmakers kills a couple more Scattergunners. Raluk runs up to Pendrake to maybe do some work on him next turn.

Mulg goes in on my left Juggernaut and kills him handily. Ruin takes some hits from Warders and loose his Mace. The Swamp Gobbers now also enter my zone to contest. On the right only 2 of the Pikemen remain after Scattergunner sprays and Burrowers attacks, the Warders there continue to pound on the Juggernaut and take him down to below 10 boxes. Doomy casts Runebreaker.

I'm in serious trouble now, but I do what I can. Raluk tries to repair Ruin, passes the abomination check but fails on the repair check. Ruin punches a Warder to death. I force a Terror check on the Burrowers from an Argus, but they pass. I kill enough for them to check command though, and this time they fail. My Iron Fang Kovnik charges a Warder, but misses. Things are certainly looking bleak, but Butcher is still alive and has his feat left.

Mulg actually backs off now and returns to Doomshaper on the hill. He then casts Runebreaker. The Warders to the right kills the Kovnik and leaves the Juggernaut on 1 box. Denis then goes for Raluk and kills him with a Stranglehold from Doomy after he toughed a Warder. Doomy then also puts up Runebreaker and stands next to Mulg. The Swamp Gobbers puts a cloud between Mulg/Doomy and Butcher. The Pyre Troll cripples Ruin even further.



Things are looking bleak. I see an assassination though. I just need to kill a Burrower engaged to one of my Argii and Butcher will have a clear chargelane to Doomy if I Energizer to get LOS past the cloud. I might make it even with him there, but I wanted to be sure. The Koldun Lord activates and misses. Which leaves me little choice than to try an Obliteration from Butcher. Unfortunately I cannot Energizer first, because of how my feat works so it scatters off the Burrower. Oh well. I'll just have to go for it. My Argus take a freestrike to get out of the way and dies. Butcher feats, puts Silence of Death on himself and Energizers for 3. I then realize I have a clear chargelane from my current position to Doomshaper. Oh well, it looked tight seeing it from my starting position. I get the charge and oneshot Doomshaper with a big damage roll.

I really feel like I was cheating Denis here. I was loosing the game pretty handily, and my dice really didn't help. But this is why Butcher3 is such a strong caster. 1 slight mistake and you're dead. Doesn't matter if you have transfers, or high defense or high ARM. Butcher will kill you dead. We discussed the game a bit afterwards and he said that I surprised him with dropping Butcher and I can see why. Thing is the 3-jack list doesn't really care that much about spell hate. It gets work done in spite of it (at least when your dice are working). He could also easily have stopped my assassination by moving one of the rightmost Warders to block my chargelane as well. There is no way I would have gotten to Doomy then.

I'm not really sure if I dropped the right list here. I usually don't drop B3 into Trolls, but since Janissa wasn't present I felt a lot more confident in this lists ability to just bully a zone between the jacks, Butcher himself and Silence of Death. That plan didn't work, much thanks to bad dice, but I don't really know if it would have been enough in the long run. Seems like a tight matchup, but it was really fun to play.



Game 6 vs. Emil Rosenberg (Circle of Orboros) Outflank

 

Emil is a guy from my club who has been struggling a bit with Legion. This time he brought the Circle he've been trying out around the club lately and I was delighted that he was doing so well with them. It stops for one of us here though. He brought Moshar and eKreuger and I already knew that it was going to be eKreuger vs Sorscha2.



Krueger the Stormlord (*5pts)
* Gorax (4pts)
* Warpwolf Stalker (10pts)
* Warpwolf Stalker (10pts)
Druids of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts) (7pts)
* Druid of Orboros Overseer (2pts)
Shifting Stones (2pts)
* Stone keeper (1pts)
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (Leader and 1 Grunt) (1pts)
Tharn Bloodweavers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Blackclad Wayfarer (2pts)
Blackclad Wayfarer (2pts)
Druid Wilder (2pts)
Gallows Grove (1pts)
Una the Falconer (3pts)
* Rotterhorn Griffon (3pts)
Objective: Fuel cache


He wins the roll and choose to go first. I pick the side with a wall to the left and a nice hill to the right.

He runs everything up behind the Druid clouds and sets up for some turn 2 action.

My Winter Guard runs up aggressively towards the right zone and gets Iron Flesh and tough. The Nyss kinda hangs back to my left and the Conquest runs up to be able to walk into the left zone next turn. Sorscha and the Great Bears just hang out behind the wall.

 I have positioned Conquest so that he can only get a single Stalker into it, so he choose to not take the bait. Instead he contests the left zone with a Druid and a Bloodweaver, and the right with Swamp Gobbers another Druid and a Blackclad. Druid clouds goes up again, Kreuger casts Stormwall and he passes to me.

I'm going for 2 CP this turn. Iron Flesh is upkept. Conquest advances into the zone and puts down a Creeping Barrage across it to stop the Bloodweavers from messing with my Nyss. Sorscha puts Shatterstorm on the Nyss because he placed the contesting Bloodweaver inside the contesting Druids cloud. One Nyss-CRA later and they are both dead. On my right Joe boosts the Attack Rolls for the Winter Guard, but they fail to clear the zone. Both the Blackclad and one of the Gobbers make it. 1 out of 2 is ok I guess. 1-0

Emil is having some serious doubts about what to do at this point, since scenario is running out of his hands. He sends a Sprinted Stalker into Conquest, does about 15 damage, kills a Mechanik and then Sprints away. The freestrike does 17 damage to the Stalker. He manages to hide it from the Great Bears with some Druid clouds though. He then sends in a Primaled Stalker anyways and rolls really good and kills the Conquest. The Bloodweavers now all contest the left zone and one has managed to sneak around the Creeping Barrage to engage a Nyss. The Rotterhorn kills 2 Winter Guard with its aoe and Una kills another and upkeeps Watcher. Kreuger casts Stormwall.

This is my Feat turn, preferably I have to kill both of his heavies this turn. Sorscha feats and makes sure both Stalkers are in, then Cyclones back behind the wall and put Iron Flesh on herself. Yarovich and Kolsk takes care of the Primaled Stalker (who was also kissed). The Nyss goes for a 3-man into the sprinted Stalker, but miss which means it will live. They also take some aimed shots at the Bloodweavers (thanks to Zephyr) and kill a couple. My plan on the right is to CRA the remaining Blackclad and Gobber and then run Joe up to score. I totally forget Watcher though, so the Rotterhorn goes into the zone and kills a Winter Guard. I then manage to shoot both the Blackclad, the Gobber and kill Una with a CRA (so the Rotterhorn no longer contests) not to mention the Winter Guard hero who managed to spray 2 Druids dead without buffs. What a guy. Joe then runs up and controls the zone. 2-0


Emil panics a bit here and goes for an ill adviced assassaination, trying to Trample to Sorscha with his last remaining Stalker, but doesn't quite make it. He also doesn't contest the right zone, so Joe scores again. He kills a Nyss, but is still witholding his feat. 3-0

Sorscha charges Aiyana and Cyclones into the right zone for the win. 5-0 Scenario Victory!


Unfortunately for Emil this game started out pretty bad for him. Giving me second turn was probably a mistake, as he wants to score the zones as fast as possible. This in turn allowed me to start pressuring scenario and he tilted from there on out as he didn't even use his feat. He did really good in his other games though and I'm glad he did. You'll get me next time Emil ;)


And there we go! 5-1 was enough for a 3rd place. I also got the Magehunter trophy (we awarded both Magehunter and Executioner even though this was just a Masters tournamnet) thanks to my Holt-throw into pVayl and I also managed to sneak away with 2 painting prizes for best Large based model and best Small based model, Ruin and Vlad2 (henceforth know as 'the cape') respectively.



I'm happy about the results, but a bit disappointed at my performance in the pThagrosh game. Anyways, a great tournament, 6 awesome opponents and 4 trophies doesn't really leave a sour taste in my mouth. It was an awesome weekend!






For any future Battle reports I promise more pictures, as this is really just a wall of text, and those aren't much fun. Anyways, I hope this has been an interesting read to someone at least.

Next up is my take on the Reckoning releases for Khador and some thoughts on how to implement them. Stay tuned, and see you next time!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar